Tech

Trump plans to ban TikTok in the US

WASHINGTON — U.S. President Donald Trump said Friday that he plans to bar the Chinese-owned video-sharing app TikTok from operating in the United States, a move that comes as officials across Washington accuse the company of posing a national security risk.

“As far as TikTok is concerned were banning them from the United States,” Trump told reporters traveling with him from Tampa aboard Air Force One. He said he could take action against the company as soon as Saturday.

TikTok, owned by Chinese tech giant ByteDance, has come under fire from lawmakers and government officials on both sides of the aisle over fears that it could turn over American users information to the Chinese government. TikTok says it has not provided consumers personal information to Beijing and would not do so.

The president said he could use emergency economic powers or an executive order to ban TikTok in the United States.

“Well, I have that authority. I can do it with an executive order or that,” Trump said, referring to emergency economic powers.

Trump made clear he was not in favor of a deal to let a U.S. company buy TikToks American operations, following reports that Microsoft is in talks to do just that.

An administration official said earlier Friday that the administration would force ByteDance to divest ownership of TikTok through a ruling by the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States, or CFIUS. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly.

Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin confirmed earlier this week that TikTok has been under review by the inter-agency body, which evaluates whether foreign investments pose security risks. ByteDance acquired TikToks precursor, Musical.ly, in 2017.

Mnuchin said Wednesday that he expected CFIUS to make a recommendation for action on TikTok this week.

After reports of a planned administRead More – Source