Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-Hawaii), a 2020 Democratic contender, said shell take part in the Oct. 15 presidential debate after threatening last week to boycott the event.
Gabbard, 38, missed the qualification thresholds for the September debate but met the requirements for the upcoming Ohio debate.
Gabbard said on Oct. 10 that she was “seriously considering boycotting” the debate “to bring attention to DNC/corporate medias effort to rig 2020 primary.”
Noting that the Democratic National Committee (DNC) conspired against Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) in 2016, Gabbard said the alleged attempts to rig the primary this year are not against Sanders, but “against the American people in the early voting states of Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina, and Nevada.”
“They are attempting to replace the roles of voters in the early states, using polling and other arbitrary methods which are not transparent or democratic, and holding so-called debates which are not debates at all but rather commercialized reality television meant to entertain, not inform or enlighten,” she alleged.
She said shed announce whether shed actually boycott the debate in a few days. On Oct. 14, she said shed decided to participate after all.
I will be attending the debate.
— Tulsi Gabbard (@TulsiGabbard) October 14, 2019
“I will be attending the debate,” she said on Monday morning.
She did not explain the reasoning behind her decision.
Gabbard will be one of 12 candidates on stage on Tuesday.
Besides Gabbard, the candidates are former Vice President Joe Biden, Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), billionaire Tom Steyer, Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.), South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg, Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.), former Secretary for Housing and Urban Development Julián Castro, entrepreneur Andrew Yang, Sen. Cory Booker (D-N.J.), and former Texas Rep. Beto ORourke.